February 2, 2013

The Archived by Victoria Schwab


 Imagine a place where the dead rest on shelves like books.

Each body has a story to tell, a life seen in pictures that only Librarians can read. The dead are called Histories, and the vast realm in which they rest is the Archive.

Da first brought Mackenzie Bishop here four years ago, when she was twelve years old, frightened but determined to prove herself. Now Da is dead, and Mac has grown into what he once was, a ruthless Keeper, tasked with stopping often-violent Histories from waking up and getting out. Because of her job, she lies to the people she loves, and she knows fear for what it is: a useful tool for staying alive.

Being a Keeper isn't just dangerous-it's a constant reminder of those Mac has lost. Da's death was hard enough, but now her little brother is gone too. Mac starts to wonder about the boundary between living and dying, sleeping and waking. In the Archive, the dead must never be disturbed. And yet, someone is deliberately altering Histories, erasing essential chapters. Unless Mac can piece together what remains, the Archive itself might crumble and fall.

In this haunting, richly imagined novel, Victoria Schwab reveals the thin lines between past and present, love and pain, trust and deceit, unbearable loss and hard-won redemption.
 The Archived by Victoria Schwab
Series: The Archived #1
Published January 22nd 2013 by Hyperion
Buy it: Book Depository free shipping

He fought the men and he slayed the
monsters and he bested the gods, and at
last the hero, having conquered all,
earned the thing that he wanted most. To
go home.
This book is simply AMAZING. It's been awhile since I've read a book like this-imaginative and delicious, and it's about time! And I am quite surprised how UNIQUE this book turned out, a different take on the DEAD that we normally read. Yes, I'm talking about zombies. Atleast that's what I've understood. Up until now, I'm still awe-struck with how flippin good this book is. The premise was enough for me to pine for this book, but for a book to live up to my expectations, boy I was over the moon.
Do not stand at my grave
and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep. - Mary Elizabeth Frye
The author's writing is just beautiful, with all the luscious words, I devoured every pages in one day. It started with a heartfelt letter/diary/memory from our girl Mackenzie to her already dead grandfather Da. And then from Mackenzie's point of view. So basically it was laid out in two different perspective but from the same character, if I'm making any sense. I thought that was just very clever because it serves a purpose.
Stories about winding halls, and invisible doors, and places are kept like books on shelves. Each time you finish a story, you make me tell it back to you, as if you're afraid I will forget.
I never do.
 Next is the world-building. I love how Victoria created such a vivid wonderful world like this. I'd like to be in it. It made me think it could be real.  I could picture the Coronado hotel-turned-apartment building, huge and ancient. The Archive, is another world where they stack all the dead, History. But there's also the Narrows, dark hallways with so many doors, and roaming History. And the Outer, which basically our world. But the Archive is not complete without The Librarians. How cool is that? But they are not your ordinary Librarians. How come? Well you have to read it and see for yourself.
"The only things the tree places have in common," you say, "are doors. Doors in, doors out.And doors need keys."
The characters were just made of awesome. From the main to the supporting characters. I love Mackenzie, I thought she's one of the best main character out there. She's a kickass, smart and likeable heroine but flawed(in a good way). Because that's how real person is, flawed, imperfect. Mackenzie is still grieving for her brother, and reading her words made my heart ache for her. I felt bad for what she was going through and proud of her for being strong despite everything that happened. Then there's Wesley, how do I describe this boy with a goth look just only so he can irritate his own father? *SQUEALS*! That is all. And Roland, I think he is awesome too, the Librarian with the red Chucks. And Da, that even if he's dead, I thought he was such a great character from Mackenzie's retelling her memories of him.

It was a sea of brick below me. But if I looked up, I could have been anywhere.

I think I'll end my gushing here, don't want to spoil your reading! :) The Archived  is one of my favorite read of all time. It was so refreshing and just captivating. This book brought so many emotions out of me and I love this book for that. I think I would recommend this book for those who loves paranormal with romance, and murder mystery twists.

Quotes from The Archived
  “Not everything holds memories,” you
say. “Not every memory’s worth holding."
Da used to say that only fools and cowards
scorned fear. Fear keeps you alive.
“You know, the
thing about a book like this is that it’s meant to be
heard, not read.”
He raises a brow. “I sound like a rock band?”
“Don’t look so flattered. You sound like a rock
band being thrown out of a truck."
 "Keep your lies clean, and your worlds as far apart as possible.”

“What if I mess up?”
“Oh, you will. You’ll mess up, you’ll
make mistakes, you’ll break things. Some
you’ll be able to piece together, and
others you’ll lose. That’s all a given.
But there’s only one thing you have to do
for me.”
“What’s that?”
“Stay alive long enough to mess up
again.”


8 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to reading this! I've read such great things about it and have been excited for it since I read and loved The Near Witch <3 I can't wait to meet these characters. Great review!

    Lisa | Read Me Bookmark Me Love Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book looks amazing! I am so glad that you enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked The near witch, so I've been excited from the moment I saw that she was writing another book. I'm so happy that this one lived up to the high expectations. From the perfect sound of Mackenzie to the unique concept of this book: I think I'm going to fall in love with this book. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes im so glad it did. I hope you enjoy this book Mel.x

      Delete
  4. Your review has my dying to read this!! Mackenzie sounds like an interesting character - I like it when the main character is not perfect.
    I will definitely read this soon (:
    New follower!! I love your blog.

    Please follow back. Thank you ^^
    Sapir @ Diary of a Wimpy Teen Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Sapir. Ill definitely check you out. x

      Delete

This is a spoiler-free review blog. Thanks for commenting! PLease leave you links so I could check yours out later. <3 Happy reading.